Thursday, October 30, 2014

Font of the Week #31: Dandelion

   Hello again! It’s time for another Font of the Week. This time we are zooming back to the 1960s and early 1970s with Dandelion!

Dandelion

   This font is a digital revival of an old photo-lettering typeface from the late 1960s. The sample I used to create Dandelion for Jukebox was found in an old Dover book.




   What I loved about this typeface was its 1960s and early 1970s feeling which reminded me of classic old TV shows, Kool-Aid and Jiffy Pop and all those fun things I remember as a kid that had fonts like these on them. The softer rounded forms of the lettering with its slight italic slant give the font a playful and innocent feeling.

   The shapes of the letters flare out at the bottom suggestive of bell-bottom pants. Those were a popular fashion at the time of the late 1960s and early 1970s. Display fonts like these are always the most fun to design because they contain such vitality and life. When something connects in a personal way it always carries much more weight.

   I also like the rounded bottoms that appear on some of the letterforms…like an overinflated tire which gives this typeface a cartoony and happy-go-lucky feeling. I can almost hear the letters giggling while riding on their Big Wheel.

   I decided to name it Dandelion since the sunny yellow flowers always remind me of my childhood and innocent times when blowing on the dandelion seeds was the best thing in the world.


   Dandelion was created in 2005 as part of the Jukebox library and is available from Veer. The font is now available in OpenType format.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment