Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Font of the Week #20: Swashington — New from CounterPoint!


   Good day! I hope you are having a nice week so far. This week’s font of the week features the brand new, just released design from CounterPoint Type…my new “Swashington” font.

   This font was inspired by a hand drawn logo that contained about six letters. While nothing is known about the original designer, I believe the lettering to be from the 1970s. The rendering of the original logotype is inconsistent across differing uses, so I am unsure as to how it was reproduced.

   I was moved to develop this into a full typeface after cleaning up the letterforms a bit. I find the combination of 1970s design with its Art Nouveau undertones to be an interesting mix.


   This was one of those typefaces that was just pure fun to design! I am passionate about type design which gives me joy no matter what font I am working on, but I love doing these kinds of fonts. I love swashes and this was a great ride to create! I started by redrawing two of the swash characters and one ligature from the original logotype. Next came developing the regular non-swash letters that are the base of the typeface. Once this was done I moved onto the really fun part which was all the swashes and alternate ligatures!

   The font contains both individual swash alternates for all the letters as well as over 270 alternate ligatures that combine two or more letters together. The letters in the ligatures differ from the plain swash variants and are specifically design to interlock in a pleasing way. This way the user can mix and match different combinations for a wide variety of possibilities. 


   This available variation makes the font quite versatile and you can get a lot of mileage out of it in different applications. Besides it’s loads of fun just to play around with the different combinations until you find the one that is your favorite!

   I chose the name for this font because it is a fun play on the name Washington. It came to me one evening and seemed to be perfect for the design.

   Swashington is available from MyFonts.com and FontHaus as well as directly from myself at an introductory price of only $29.25.

   In addition to this, all fonts from Counterpoint Type studio are currently on sale at 35% off now through July 31st. It’s my Summer Savings special!


No comments:

Post a Comment