Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Font of the Week #7: Annabelle

   Hello to my readers! I have had a busy week so the Font of the Week is going up on Wednesday instead of Tuesday. This week we will take a look at “Annabelle”.

Annabelle

   Annabelle is an original font that is part of the Jukebox library. The design was inspired in part by an old greeting card. This font is the first we have looked at that is named after a real person who is special in my life. In this case my mother:

Well, sort of…

   My mother’s name is actually Ann, but my dad used to call her ‘Annabelle’ as an endearment. Back when this font was designed in 2002, I was working in the old PostScript format and font names had to be a certain number of characters in length. The name Ann was too short and Annabelle seemed a more appropriate name for the design. The font was completed that same year and originally was available as part of my first foundry at MyFonts.com.




   Annabelle is a flowing script font that is Spencerian in its major design elements yet has a warm playfulness to it that prevents it from being overly formal. The long loopy strokes and somewhat wider letterspacing than is typical for a script font, gives it a very feminine feel.

   My mother taught high school English and American Literature for many years and Walt Whitman was one of her favorite authors. The above quote from him resonates with me not only for relating to my mom, whom the font is named after, but in awe of how right he was about the nature of existence.

   In the decades to come after Whitman lived, scientists indeed discovered that all the necessary chemical elements that make up life on Earth were formed in the cores of stars and returned to space when those stars exploded as supernovae. As Carl Sagan said, “We are made of star stuff”.

   Annabelle has proven to be one of the more popular fonts in the Jukebox library and has enjoyed use on many commercial products and even on television. My personal favorite use of the typeface was on the cover of photographer Anne Geddes’ autobiographical book entitled “A Labor of Love”.




No comments:

Post a Comment